Thursday, October 11, 2012

Trimming the top and bottom...

Now that the body is together, its time to trim the top and bottom plates to be flush with the sides. This can be tricky, as they aren't really flat, parallel, or perpendicular to the sides. So I have this little jig/machine to the left, which is just a home built copy of the LMII binding machine. It holds my trim router vertical and parallel to the sides, and allows it to ride up and down on the "linear bearings" (full extension drawer slides!) to follow the profile of the plate. The carriage allows me to level the body relative to the router. But more importantly, it gives me good control/handling of the body so I can do a "climb cut" on the router and avoid tearing out any wood, which is a nasty habit the router has, especially on soft spruce like the top.

The top all trimmed


 

No comments:

Post a Comment