Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Binding the back...

My extra bearings for the binding cutter router bit came in from LMI today, so I set about cutting the binding ledges for the back of the guitar.  There are about 20 different bearings in the set and I only had 10 of them which were fine for the last build, but all bindings vary and this time I needed to complete the set to get the right depth. The bindings are measuring exactly .010" thick, so I routed a .090" ledge for them, then cut an addition .030" for the BWB purling. Yes, I'm measuring in thousandths of an inch! See picture captions below for more details.

Setting the depth of the binding ledge cut.

Here's the binding ledge cut, 0.090" x 0.25"

Didn't get pictures of the purfling ledge as well, but here is all the bindings and purfling copiously taped in place. Longer tape = places where the binding needed more "persuasion".

Close up showing the binding and BWB purling. This will be superglued in place!

Side fit looking good too. Time to wick in the glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment