Sunday, June 1, 2014

Rosette time....


I decided to keep moving forward by starting on the rosette of the soundboard today. I had bought a billet of Walnut burl which I intended to slice up to make one piece rosette rings (3/4" wide). However, after slicing it up, I found it was completely unimpressive in it's figuring. So I decided to try the Coolibah Burl that I had on hand (no, I've never heard of that species either). 

However, this wood which was easily 8 times heavier (if not more) than the walnut proved too dense for my bandsaw. Even when over-tensioned, by 1/2" re-saw blade developed so much "suck" that the blade was exiting the side of the billet in the middle of a 1/4" slice.

After much hand wringing, I decided to cut it up into 2"x2" blanks, and cut those to 1/8" thickness and make a segmented rosette circle. This worked well and you can see the results below.

This will be bounded by Mother of Pearl inlay on the inner and outer radius.






No comments:

Post a Comment