Sunday, June 1, 2014

Making the fretboard

I'm waiting on a better vacuum pump so I can veneer the back of the headstock, so I decided to get going on the fretboard.

It's Indian Rosewood, bound in Indian Rosewood, but still a bit of contrast.

I decided to try something a little different. I've been using Superglue (CA glue) for years to do my binding, but it can still take a while to dry. So I decided to try some "accelerator" that truly makes it instant. After looking around on the web, I found that Bob Smith Industries makes some, and they are in fact located just 2 miles from my house. So I found a local hobby store that carries the product and picked it up on Saturday.

Sure enough, this stuff was awesome. I sprayed the edge of the fingerboard (after masking off the top) and then held the bindings in place while applying "Hot Stuff" CA glue with a pipette. The bonding was instantaneous and I was able to move down the fingerboard holding the binding in place as I went. No clamping, taping, etc.

Below you can see the binding on the end of the FB which is curved. I  pre-bent the binding to *almost* the exact curve, but using the CA glue plus accelerator meant that it didn't need to be perfect or clamped. I just used the accelerator and dropped a little CA on one end, then moved around the curve, within 30 seconds I was done.






No comments:

Post a Comment