Saturday, June 28, 2014

Headstock Binding

It took a while to get the headstock binding right. Last years binding was mitered at the tight curves, which I wasn't really happy with. And previous attempts (on guitars 2, 3, and 4) to bend wood around
the tight radius of my headstock profile were very difficult, I broke a lot of wood before one worked.

So this time I've redesigned the headstock to have more gradual curves so I can go back to a single piece of wood binding bent around the entire headstock. The trick was to thin the binding from .090" to .060" (yes, 1/3), which makes it able to take a tighter bend without the outside fibers breaking from too much stretching.

This approach worked well, and below is the bound headstock. It came out perfect, for the first time ever.

Not much contrast, it is Indian Rosewood against the same for the headstock overlay. I usually like more contrast in the binding, but it needs to match the binding on the rest of the guitar  and that will look good against the Curly Koa of the tone woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment