Sunday, December 2, 2012

Fitting the pickguard...

Here you can see how the curves don't quite match.
 On most guitars, the plastic pickguard is placed in such a way that it covers part of the rosette, but I don't like to do that after putting so much work into custom inlays. So yesterday I modified the fit of the pickguard so it would perfectly match the outside diameter of my rosette. As purchased, this one had a slightly smaller diameter for the cutout, so there wasn't much to remove. But I wanted it perfect, so I made a quick router template using a circle cutting jig on the dremel tool. This gave me a nice smooth template surface on the curve. Then I used a flush trim bit in my Festool trim router. The bearing followed the template contour and cut a perfect radius. To secure the pickguard to the template, I used double back carpet tape, which is the same way it will be attached to the guitar (so it can be removed if need be). More pictures below:
Template finished, pickguard secured with tape

Pickguard has been cut now and matches perfectly.
Here it is in place on the guitar. Follows the rosette very tight! I'm using my 2" T-Square rule as a stand in for the fretboard edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment